A smile can showcase varying levels of emotions and contentment and is a tell-tale sign that one is content and happy. Every smile is unique to an individual and the situation. Whether it’s a wry smile, a flirtatious grin, or a hearty laugh, everyone enjoys an easy smile and everyone looks for reasons for it. A perfect smile, however, may not always be easy to get. You might need some help.
Toothpaste commercials and magazines may have etched in your mind what an ideal smile should look like. Among many requirements for a flawless brightening smile, the aspect that people struggle with the most is getting a perfectly aligned set of whites. Although infomercials insist that getting a beautiful picture-perfect smile is as easy as 1 2 3, you may find that hard to believe. If you have struggled with crooked, crowded, or malaligned teeth and braces seem like a nightmare to you, you best believe you are up for a wonderful revelation – presenting, Invisalign.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a brand of clear orthodontic aligners that help align and orient teeth. These aligners work as a series of custom-made well-fitted trays that help straighten teeth in as much time as metal braces. Because they are essentially invisible, they are more preferred by teens and young adults as compared to the bulky framework of braces.
Invisalign clear aligners are generally made with specialized hard plastic and in conjunction with 3-D technology making the procedure both painless and non-invasive. The Invisalign digital scan allows you to visualize teeth positions and orientations before the fabrication of the trays.
How long does it take to straighten the teeth?
Usually taking around 10 to 24 months, if you are an adult who has had braces as a kid, it can take as little as 10 weeks with the invisible aligners. A single Invisalign tray is used for 2 weeks after which another tray may be assigned, continuing the cycle until the teeth are aligned perfectly.
An Invisalign aligner should be strictly worn 22 hours a day and should be cleaned periodically.
Are you eligible to get Invisalign?
No matter what age you are, as long as your adult teeth are fully grown you can consider Invisalign as a valid option. Invisalign is a viable orthodontic treatment option for some common dental problems like over and underbites, crossbites, gap teeth, open bites, and crowded teeth.
In cases where your dental problems are severe, you may require metal braces to align your teeth. Consult your orthodontist before ruling yourself out!
How is Invisalign superior to traditional braces?
Invisalign clear aligners come with a wide range of benefits that win the orthodontic conquest against traditional metal braces.
- Aesthetics: Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible and give better visual regard to onlookers as compared to metal braces. Who would want to land up with a mouth full of metal when you can have a great-looking set of pearly whites?
- The comfort of wear: Since these Invisalign aligners are made up of plastic, nicks and cuts caused by the metal wires and brackets of braces can be avoided. Rewiring of wires is also not required with these clear aligners, thus giving positive comfort of wear.
- Convenience for removal: The biggest drawback of metal braces comes with its inability to be removable. Invisalign aligners are more relaxed with the duration of wear and can be removed once in a while for you to catch a breath.
- Better oral hygiene: The brackets and wires of braces create little nooks and crannies for food lodgement and poor oral cleansing. With clear aligners, you can practice better oral hygiene, which lowers your risk of developing gum disease while you go through the process of straightening your teeth.
- Eat whatever you like!: Eating sticky and hard foods with braces can be an unworldly challenge, but with Invisalign aligners, you no longer need to worry about food getting stuck on your metal wires. Eat as you please!
- Minimal maintenance: They require minimal maintenance. Cleanse lightly with water and freshen them up!
- Faster results: Invisalign aligners have been recorded to work faster than braces in straightening teeth and arranging them in great alignment.
- Predictability: Working with superior technology, clear aligners straighten teeth more predictably and comfortably. You can see the end result on the digitized image to get an idea of what your teeth would look like after the treatment.
How to care for Invisalign?
Here are a few easy tips to care for your Invisalign aligners:
- Remove before eating or drinking
- Refrain from smoking and other tobacco products
- Rinse your aligners with warm water or scrub lightly with a toothbrush when you remove them
- Brush and floss before reinserting your aligners
- Clean your trays regularly
- Limit foods with excessive artificial food coloring
What you need to know about Invisalign
Here’s a heads-up of some of the things you might want to be aware of before you pop your first aligner into your mouth.
- You can get attachments to speed up the process such as buttons and rubber bands
- You may have a slight lisp or different voice during the first week after Invisalign
- You can also whiten your teeth when you are getting your Invisalign treatment
- You may need to carry toothbrushes where ever you go
- You will still need to wear a retainer after the Invisalign treatment
- You will need to maintain proper oral hygiene as much as you can!
With all the benefits of the Invisalign, there is no doubt that it is your safest bet at realigning your teeth and regaining your confidence that may have been wavered. Yield the welfare of Invisalign clear aligners and make your every day filled with smiles and waves of laughter. As a clear-cut and outstanding alternative to conventional braces, Invisalign aligners are really revolutionary wonders for malaligned teeth! Get yours today!