Is Thumb Sucking Bad?
What Are The Effects Of Thumb Sucking?
- Misalignment of front teeth
- An overbite
- Altering the look of one’s thumb
- A speech impediment
How Can You Stop Your Child From Thumb Sucking
- Identify the cause- If your child is sucking their thumb as a way to get your attention, then the solution may be as simple as ignoring them. Eventually, they’ll realize that it’s not working and therefore drop the habit.
- If they’re sucking their thumb when they’re anxious, then you can try to calm their fears. Parents have also been successful here by giving children a toy, blanket, or pillow that provides them comfort.
- Praise for improvement- Instead of telling your child what they’re doing wrong, try praising them for their improvement. These positive reminders may help encourage your child to keep trying to stop.
- Visit a dentist- Having a doctor who works with teeth all day and understands the possible outcomes talk to your child may be a more convincing tactic. Bonus points if the dentist has images they can share.